Thursday 17 April 2014

Git and Naemon

We've started using git a lot more at Glasgow, and I've been working on using it to manage our new documentation. We've set up a number of remote git repositories to enable this. This has been working well for website development recently, and so I turned to the possibilities of using it elsewhere.

Developing our monitoring boxes, I wanted to make sure that a new server was configured as cleanly as possible (we're using puppet for new server configuration). I was looking for a way to efficiently keep nagios/naemon configs up to date across different machines, and it occurred to me that using a remote git repository was an ideal solution for this. Creating a new blank repository and copying in our current configuration, I could push and pull configs between machines easily - which is  entirely the point of using git here, but it's nice to see it work. I'm now working to incorporate this into the build step so that a new machine pulls its config automatically.

We're now looking at further uses of git across the cluster (we have a number of fans at the site!)

No comments:

Post a Comment